Thursday, May 15, 2014

London: Day 9

It was another beautiful day today, not even a little bit of rain. For today, I had something special prepared: a visit to the Doctor Who store in Barking Road. 
Now, the way to get to Barkin Road is to take the tube to Upton Park and then walk three or so blocks. I wasn't prepared, though, for the extreme mix of cultures that I encountered in that short walk. 
I passed right by a Middle Eastern and Indian fair, called the Queen's Market. There was a bit of everythig, from fruits to saris, to butcher's meat hanging right there in plain view. 
I walked around a bit and then headed to the store.
It's not hard to miss, with its bright Tardis-blue exterior. 
This is what I saw first.
How awesome is that!? I wanted to get a picture with it, but there was no one else in the store to ask, so I kind of got a picture.
I wanted to hug the Dalek, but the sign said no touching, so I controlled myself. But just look at it.
It's too cool!
I bought a few things, and then started the walk back to Upton Park station to go to Piccadilly Circus. Piccadilly Circus was one of the few touristy places that I still hadn't gone to, so it was about time. On the way there, a man in full Scottish garb, kilt and everything, hopped on the tube and proceeded to eat sushi with chopsticks as we rode. One of the strangest things I've seen in London, though I'm sure it's not such a shock to the locals anymore. 
You can't get more London-y than that. A red bus, two black cabs, and the iconic screens in the back. 
The guy in gold in the front is not a statue. He, like many other street performers, opt to dress themselves as sliver or golden statues, holding a pose for long periods of time without moving. It's impressive. 
Lots of people in this part of London. 
I had a bite to eat at a pretty little French cafe called Paul, and kept walking around. 
That's The Ritz. 
And that's Burlington Arcade, which has some of the most exclusive stores in the city. Through the back, you exit to Old Bond Street, where all famous designers have stores, as well. I saw Chanel, Ferragamo, Dolce and Gabbana, Prada, etc. An incredibly intimidating street to walk through.
Then I went to the Royal Academy of Arts and saw some exhibits there. No pictures allowed, so there's none to post. 
When I'd walked around a good bit, I decided to head to another stop: Earl's Court. Why? Becuase of this.
One of the only blue police boxes left in the city. I figured since I'd already gone to the Who shop, I might as well make a Doctor Who day of it. 
Adorable. It's in really great shape, too. I expected it to be faded, but obviosuly it's taken care of. 
I'm not going to lie, I was kind of expecting to hear that wheezing Tardis sound. Alas, no. 
I got back on the tube to go to Grant Museum of Zoology, which is very close to my hotel. It was amazing in there. There are all kinds of animal specimens in jars, some of them even dissected, so that you get to see all the organs and everything. The whole atmosphere of it was so Victorian, with its wooden cabinets and antique glass jars. 
They allow visitors to "adopt" one of the exhibits by becoming a member of the museum, so I did. If you stop by, you will see my name above a jar holding the head of a cottonmouth snake. 
So that was my day. Lots and lots of walking, but the weather was lovely, so no complaints. 


2 comments:

Tea said...

I enjoyed the London tour especially the blue police boxes. Have never heard of those boxes. Like the black cabs too.

Micheline said...

Well, I've had this and a few other of your London posts bookmarked since they went up but I'm only getting around to them now - I'm sorry for my lateness! Anyways, London is one of my dream destinations and it's pretty high at the top of that list. Seeing all the Doctor Who stuff from the DW store just makes it THAT MUCH BETTER!! I bet I could spend days in that place and still NEVER want to leave :D Of course, I'd DEFINITELY want to find that Blue Police Box as well ♥ You took some really fabulous shots of London in general too, what a gorgeous city! Ok well I'm off to check out some of your other trip posts! Thanks so much for sharing ^^

Micheline @ Lunar Rainbows Reviews