Thursday, October 27, 2011

Booking Through Thursday


What’s the hardest/most challenging book you’ve ever read? Was it worth the effort? Did you read it by choice or was it an assignment/obligation?


For some reason I really struggled with Middlemarch by George Eliot. I've read many of her books and had no problems, but that particular one posed more than one challene. I think the biggest problem is that i found myself bored throughout most of it, so I'd lose focus, therefore losing the plot. I started it twice, with equally unsatisfying results. Since I read it for pleasure, not for school, I didn't obsess too much about it.





8 comments:

Claire said...

I've never read Middlemarch, but I do think if you aren't enjoying a book you should stop reading. Forcing yourself to keep going never helps, at least not for me.

My BTT is here if you'd like a look :)

Kirsten said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!

I've never tried Middlemarch. But I see there's a free Kindle version, just downloaded to take a peek ...

Jordan Butcher said...

Thanks for stopping by!
It seems like a lot of classics are the ones that people struggle with. Interesting. :)

Sierra said...

I hate when I lose focus while reading! Then it's like this big challenge (to me) to finish. If I can't "get into" a story, I just can't seem to make myself read!

:]

Anya Millar said...

I will only force myself to read so far... if it just isn't doing it for me, I quit and find something I do want to read. Sadly, Lit class was hard on a lot of us, it seems, lol.

(hi - waves)

Here's my BTT - House Millar series

Aine

Eileen Leacock said...

I love George Elliot, definitely in my top ten. I enjoyed Middlemarch. Sometimes I think it depends on where you are in life, how we related to the stories. Any way here is the link for mine: http://edwardsgranddaugther.blogspot.com/2011/10/bible-challenge.html

Katie said...

I haven't read 'Middlemarch' yet, but I've enjoyed what I have read of George Eliot. Hopefully I'll get on with it better than you did.

Bev Hankins said...

I finished Middlemarch a little while ago. I struggled with it too (took me a whole month to read). I almost picked it as my BTT book, but decided to go for Faulkner instead.

http://myreadersblock.blogspot.com/2011/10/booking-through-thursday-hard-choices.html