Monday, June 11, 2012

The Sun Zebra by Rolando Garcia


The Sun Zebra, is best described as a children's book for grownups. Its aim is to encourage us to discover (or rediscover) the amazing things that children and their magical carefree world can teach us, even as we try to teach them about the harsh realities of our own. The book is a collection of five stories that follow the "adventures in living" of an unusual little girl named Nell, her mother Rhonda, and Nell's father who is the narrator of the stories.


This is a lovely collection of stories told by a father about his adventures with his young daughter, Nell. It is definitely a heartwarming book.

There is a beautiful sense of wonder in these stories. They are told in a manner that is fresh and light, yet they carry many levels of meaning. They each have their own style but they all capture the reader’s attention from the first sentences. I did find that a few of them could have been a bit more subtle in revealing the author’s meaning, but for the most part, they do a good job of sharing almost a moral without sounding preachy. My favorite was “The Meaningless Christmas Tree.” That story alone is worth buying the book for.

This book provides us with a lovely look into a relationship and for that I highly recommend it. This is a quick and delightful read.




3 comments:

Susan Oloier said...

I'm going to check this one out, mainly because of the story you mentioned.
Thanks for another great review.

Mrs. Jones said...

Great review! I have never been close with my father, but I think I would really like this book!

Thanks for the recommendation!!

and thanks for following me, Im following you back! :)

Anonymous said...

**New Follower** great review :D