Wednesday, March 30, 2011

The Ale Boy's Feast by Jeffrey Overstreet


I received this book from Blogging for Books, and my first thought was how beautiful and lush the cover was. As I began reading, I realized the writing matched it perfectly. There is some serious poetry woven in these pages, some spellbinding images that capture you as they move the story forward.

This is a high-fantasy novel, the fourth in a series, so it’s not best to jump right in without knowing a bit about the particular world in which it is set and a basic idea of who the characters are. The names can be a bit daunting, but it is definitely not one of the more convoluted fantasy stories out there. I was fascinated by the creation of Deathweeds, roots with murderous intentions, they are such an original idea that I cheered every time they appeared on the page.

The conclusion (no worries, I will not reveal it) is so gorgeous that I have the urge to reread the last few pages. I highly recommend this book to all of you that, like me, want a cloak of colors to sink under and dream.


No comments: