Monday, July 9, 2012

Musing Mondays


Have you ever read a book that, at the time, you didn’t feel a strong connection towards, but as time goes by you find yourself thinking about it a lot?


I really had to think about this one, as nothing popped immediately into my head. I would probable have to say Chronicle of a Death Foretold by  I read it in the original Spanish and really didn't enjoy it. The writing felt bloated and dull, but now, after reading a few of his ither books, I find myself thinking more and more about that first one I read. One particular image stuck to my head: one of the characters gets injured in the somach and his intestines are coming out. He cradles them in his hands and th author describes them as roses. Really striking.




















8 comments:

Vonnie said...

I've tried reading Gabriel Garcia Marquez' works but I found myself just dropping the readings. I even tried reading it in Spanish thinking that it will be better, pero no...

Cien anos de soledad is still in my pile for the past 10 years :/

Kwizgiver said...

I just can't get into Marquez's books. It would take me 100 years of solitude to get through that book!

Vicki said...

I hadn't heard of this book before, but clicked the link and it sounds good. I added it to my list!

Aishah Waheed said...

That sounds lovely! ;)

You can read spanish!!..that's brilliant..I always find it weird imagining a book that I've read in a different language..is there any difference?

My Musing Monday here

Lauren said...

I haven't heard of that book but it sounds interesting.

caite said...

I think maybe even in a less that you less than love, one aspect can stand out and stick in your mind..a great setting or a great character or some part of the plot.

Chris Thompson said...

I liked Marquez's Chronicle of a Death Foretold, though it wasn't the first book I had read by him. His writing style does take some getting used to.

I don't feel like writing my own post so I'll just say my answer to that question would be The Road, by Cormac McCarthy. I was never that deeply into it while I read it, but afterward I thought about it a lot, and I watched the movie with Viggo Mortensen and really enjoyed it. I might reread it someday.

Great post!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting my blog!

God that's a strong image! Anything graphic makes me feel queasy!