Thursday, November 22, 2012

Booking Through Thursday

It’s Thanksgiving here in the U.S., so … what are you thankful for this year, reading-wise? New, favorite books? New gadget for reading? New comfy chair? Bonus time to read? Just the mere fact of BEING a reader? Having the internet to share ideas/recommendations/conversations about books?

I'm going to be completely honest today. I suffer from bouts of pretty severe depression. I take medication but sometimes even that does nothing for the torture in my head. During these times, like I am going through right now, I cling to books with everything I've got. So I am grateful, so grateful for having them in my life. For writers like Stephen King who can cast me out of my own head when I feel like I can't spend another moment inside it; for writers like Barbara Kingsolver or Margaret Atwood who can weave magic with their words and express the exact things I'm feeling.
Each day, like today, when I am struggling from minute to minute, I know that these wonders are here, at my fingertips, and it makes life just a tiny bit easier to handle.
For that, I am very, very, thankful.

























2 comments:

Sam @ The Little Munchkin Reader said...

What a honest post! I too suffer from depression and anxiety. Books do help you, don't they? Lifelines.

Laurel-Rain Snow said...


Thanks for sharing, Valentina...I have found that books get me through the tough times, too. They offer that ray of hope that other worlds and possibilities are there for the taking.