Friday, November 9, 2012

Follow Friday



Q: Do you mind books with similar ideas to other books? Similar concepts, backgrounds, retellings or pulled-to-publish fanfic?

Similar concepts don't really bother me. After all, many books are similar but not necessarily the same. Retellings, though not my favorites, also have their place. It is interesting to see how a modern author sees past works, but the fanfic...I can't say I enjoy that too much. Things like Fifty Shades of Grey should stay out in the web ether and not become what it has, especially since there are many, many other erotica titles that are written in a much better way, empowering instead of diminishing women. That has to be the only thing I refuse to read: glorified fanfiction.


















7 comments:

PamM said...

Thank you for stopping by! New follower and I like your answer,

veela-valoom said...

You see I love retellings. But I despise repurposed fanfictions.

My follow friday! Please visit!

Kristen said...

Good answer!

New Follower!
Kristen @OCA

Jessica @ a GREAT read said...

I agree! Similar concepts are not a problem for me. Many books do use similar concepts even!

Here's my Follow Friday

Have a GREAT weekend!

Old Follower :)

Momo the Mome Rath said...

I agree, similar concepts are usually fine by me as long as the author threw in a twist. Glorified and published fanfiction... well, no, not okay. Old follower :)

Momo @ Where the Mome Raths Outgrabe

SF said...

Love your response. I haven't read Fifty Shads of Grey, but often I hear people say, "eh, I see why it was popular" and not be critical of how it portrays women or the fact that it IS glorified fanfiction. So yes, great answer. :)

(Btw, check out the new blog hop we’re starting: Save-a-Word Saturday!)

SF said...

*Shades -_-