Monday, April 4, 2011

30 Day Challenge

Day 12 – A book you used to love but don’t anymore


I don't have many of these. I'm usually pretty loyal to my books, and I stick to them no matter what. I guess one that at the time, I enjoyed but now I'm ambivalent towards is Animal Farm by Geroge Orwell. Just doesn't do it for me anymore.


Animal Farm is the most famous by far of all twentieth-century political allegories. Its account of a group of barnyard animals who revolt against their vicious human master, only to submit to a tyranny erected by their own kind, can fairly be said to have become a universal drama. Orwell is one of the very few modern satirists comparable to Jonathan Swift in power, artistry, and moral authority; in animal farm his spare prose and the logic of his dark comedy brilliantly highlight his stark message.

Taking as his starting point the betrayed promise of the Russian Revolution, Orwell lays out a vision that, in its bitter wisdom, gives us the clearest understanding we possess of the possible consequences of our social and political acts.



No comments: