Monday, August 22, 2011

Musing Mondays


This week’s musing asks…

Do you prefer character-driven stories, or plot-driven stories?


I tend to like character-driven stories better than plot-driven ones. When the characters are the main focus, we get to really bond with them, to feel for them much more than when the actions are the important things. I see that a lot in fantasy and sci-fi books, which I think is the reason why there's not that many great ones out there. They are too plot-driven, while other ones, like Harry Potter, stay in our heads because all the characters are unique and well-crafted.



4 comments:

Priya said...

I do agree with you about Harry Potter - the characters do have a huge impression on us! But in case of Harry Potter I like the plot a bit more than the characters - and that's an exception for me!

http://peskypiksipesternomi.blogspot.com/2011/08/characters-or-plot.html

Unknown said...

I agree, nothing like falling in loe with an awesome character

Anya Millar said...

Have to agree... character driven is required, plot is desired.

House Millar - Musing Mondays

Aine

Ann said...

Characters definitely - there's nothing better than a character that you're able to bond with, and like you say - those that stay in your heart are certainly special!